Who are the BEST Female Plastic Surgeons in Australia? – The PSH Hub List
Finding the best female plastic surgeon to perform your procedure can be time-consuming, confusing, and stressful. You have to consider various surgical options, prices, experience and qualifications. Considering the surgical risks associated with undergoing plastic surgery – such as unsatisfactory results and complications – thorough research is critical to secure the best possible outcomes. Starting with a local female plastic surgeon could simplify your search process and reduce the stress of considering interstate travel for surgery. It’s quite common for patients, especially females, to prefer a female surgeon and an all-female surgical team. Should you feel the same, opting for a female plastic surgeon could minimise the anxiety often associated with beginning your plastic surgery journey.
Why Patients Might Prefer a Female Plastic Surgeon
There are many reasons why some patients might prefer a female plastic surgeon for their procedure. Here’s an exploration into some of those factors:
- Empathy and Understanding: It’s often thought that female plastic surgeons may have a better understanding and empathy towards certain procedures, particularly those related to female bodies. This can make a significant difference in procedures such as breast augmentation, breast reduction, or post-pregnancy procedures. They can often better appreciate the goals of their female patients because they share the same physical characteristics
- Communication: Some patient studies suggest that female doctors tend to spend more time talking to their patients, and they’re often more patient and empathetic. This can lead to more comprehensive discussions about treatment plans and a better understanding of the patient’s goals and concerns
- Comfort Level: Some women, and even men, may simply feel more comfortable discussing their concerns and showing their bodies to another woman, especially when it comes to sensitive areas. This can be particularly important in plastic surgery, which often deals with very personal, intimate physical concerns
- A Different Perspective: Female surgeons might offer a different aesthetic perspective. In a field that is historically dominated by men, a woman’s perspective can offer a fresh take on beauty ideals and aesthetic goals
- Experience with Certain Issues: Female plastic surgeons may have a better understanding of certain issues specific to women, such as the changes the body goes through after childbirth or the impacts of ageing on a woman’s body
- Empowerment: Lastly, choosing a female plastic surgeon can also be an empowering decision. In a male-dominated field, supporting female surgeons can contribute to greater gender equality in the profession
Remember that the gender of the plastic surgeon is just one factor to consider when choosing a plastic surgeon. The most important factors should always be the surgeon’s qualifications, experience, and ability to understand and fulfill the needs and goals. Australia boasts a plethora of experienced, highly-qualified female plastic surgeons. Among them, the following female plastic surgeons come highly recommended by both medical professionals and patients:
- Dr Anh Nguyen
- Dr Rebecca Wyten
- Dr Carmen Munteanu
- Dr Maryam Seyedabadi
- Dr Megan Hassall
- Dr Jane Paterson
- Dr Justine O’Hara
Best Female Plastic Surgeons in Melbourne, Victoria
Dr Rebecca Wyten FRACS(Plas)
Dr Rebecca Wyten is a FRACS Specialist Plastic Surgeon with clinical expertise in Breast and Tummy plastic surgery, including performing post-pregnancy procedures. As one of Melbourne’s top female plastic surgeons, Dr Wyten has gained advanced training in both cosmetic and plastic surgery, training under world-renowned cosmetic surgery experts. Dr Wyten prioritises a seamless recovery from surgery and uses unique strategies to minimise scar formation and improve post-surgical healing, with a focus on creating a plastic surgery journey that is comfortable and caring. As Dr Wyten is one of the few Australian surgeons to perform post-pregnancy Mummy Makeover surgery, she is a leading choice for women looking to combine breast and tummy cosmetic surgery.
- Dr Rebecca Wyten FRACS (Plas) performs Breast and Body Surgery for Female patients
- 75 Kangan Drive, Berwick, VIC
- 260 Mitcham Rd, Mitcham VIC
- 03 9018 4087
Dr Carmen Munteanu FRACS(Plas)
With more than 25 years of Plastic Surgery experience, Melbourne-based Dr Carmen Munteanu is a FRACS Plastic Surgeon who offers compassionate plastic surgery with a focus on body contouring and breast procedures. Dr Carmen prioritises providing each patient with holistic, individualised care to create natural-looking, aesthetically pleasing surgical results that align with the goals and lifestyle of each individual. As well as breast surgery and body contouring, Dr Carmen is an expert at providing post-pregnancy plastic surgery solutions and post-weight-loss surgery.
- Dr Carmen performs Labiaplasty, breast and body contouring surgery with natural-looking results
- 03 9852 0545
Dr Jane Paterson FRACS(Plas)
As a highly experienced Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Dr Jane Paterson is a member of ASPS (the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons) and completed over 10 years of advanced training to become a FRACS Specialist Plastic Surgeon. Dr Paterson takes pride in providing expert care to every patient through communication, education, and delivering high-quality results. Dr Paterson takes the time to get to know every patient, so that she can deliver plastic surgery results that fit the needs of every individual while ensuring that each patient makes a fully-informed decision. Dr Paterson specialises in women’s cosmetic surgery, including Labiaplasty, Cosmetic Breast Surgery, and Tummy Tucks.
- Dr Paterson is an expert in cosmetic surgery for women
- Epworth Hospital, Suite 8.4, 89 Bridge Road, Richmond, VIC 3122
- 03 942 93343
Best Female Plastic Surgeons in Perth Western Ausralia
Dr Anh Nguyen FRACS(Plas)
Dr Anh Nguyen is a member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons, the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, the Western Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons, and the Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. With a passion for sharing her surgical expertise, Dr Anh devotes her spare time to mentorship and consulting, as well as presenting at international conferences. Due to her extensive further study and clinical practice across a range of areas, Dr Anh has in-depth research experience across a broad range of areas, from breast augmentation and breast aesthetics, to labiaplasty and thromboprophylaxis in burns patients. As a woman and a mother, Dr Anh brings a caring and empathetic nature to her practice, providing plastic surgery services to all patients with compassion, insight, and understanding.
- Dr Anh is an expert in plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Crown Metropol Perth, Great Eastern Hwy, Burswood, WA 6100
- 1300 8-DRANH (1300 8-37264)
Best Female Plastic Surgeons in Sydney, NSW
Dr Maryam Seyedabadi FRACS(Plas)
Dr Maryam Seyedabadi received dual qualifications in medicine and dentistry from the University of Sydney, and is one of the few FRACS Specialist Plastic Surgeons to have both of these qualifications. Dr Maryam additionally received a PhD in Medicine, and prioritises continually improving her clinical skills and knowledge through further research. Her areas of interest during medical training include hand surgery, reconstructive procedures, and paediatrics. As a mother of three, Dr Maryam is especially interested in both paediatric plastic surgery and plastic surgery for women. She uses her in-depth understanding and experience of womanhood and motherhood to provide plastic surgery services that are individualised, empathetic, and based on understanding.
- Dr Maryam performs female plastic surgery, skin cancer, chin/jaw surgery and paediatric plastic surgery
- Highpoint Suite 2, G/F 257-259 The Entrance Road, Erina, NSW 2250
- 02 4363 6900
Dr Megan Hassall FRACS(Plas)
Dr Megan Hassall is a RACS Specialist Plastic Surgeon who has been practicing as a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon in Australia since 1995. With extensive experience across the facets of cosmetic surgery, plastic surgery and reconstructive procedures, Dr Hassall performs a range of procedures including cosmetic breast surgery, gender reassignment breast surgery, facial plastic surgery and body contour surgery. Dr Hassall additionally performs cosmetic procedures such as scar revision, lesion excision, and burn management treatment including skin grafting. This broad scope of clinical expertise means that Dr Hassall is experienced across several areas of plastic and reconstructive surgery, delivering excellent results and creating a streamlined, low-stress journey for patients.
- Dr Hassall is experienced in cosmetic and plastic surgery as well as reconstructive surgery
- Suite 11, Level 6, 66 pacific Hwy, St Leonards, NSW 2065
- 02 9439 4042
Dr Justine O’Hara FRACS(Plas)
Dr Justine O’Hara is a FRACS Specialist Plastic with extensive expertise across plastic, reconstructive, and cosmetic surgical fields. Dr O’Hara believes that as a female plastic surgeon, she has an in-depth understanding for the perspectives of female patients, and uses this empathy to create a tailored plastic surgery approach for each patient. With an innate understanding of aesthetics, Dr O’Hara aims to achieve the best possible results from every procedure, whether large or small. This includes plastic surgery for women, such as Mummy Makeovers, breast surgery, and labiaplasty. For Dr O’Hara, patient comfort – both mental and physical – is a top priority.
- Dr O’Hara is an expert in both adult and paediatric surgery
- Level 6, 149 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
- 02 9252 9262
- Dr Justine O’Hara website
While this list serves as a useful starting point, conducting personalised in-depth research will help you find the most suitable plastic surgeon for your needs. Remember, plastic surgery is a big decision, and it’s essential to take your time without rushing into any commitment.
Important Considerations When Selecting a Plastic Surgeon:
- Board Certification and Membership in Professional Societies: It’s essential to choose a surgeon who is board-certified, which in Australia means they hold the FRACS (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons) qualification. Membership in respected professional societies such as the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) demonstrates the surgeon’s commitment to maintaining the highest standards in their practice
- Expertise and Experience: Look for a surgeon with proven expertise and years of experience in the specific procedure you’re considering. Surgeons tend to specialise in certain areas, such as facial surgery, breast augmentation, or body contouring. Find out about their training, years in practice, and how often they perform the procedure you are interested in
- Communication and Comfort Level: Your surgeon should be someone with whom you feel comfortable discussing your goals and concerns. They should take the time to understand your needs, answer all your questions clearly, and explain the procedure, including the risks and benefits, in a way you understand
- Before and After Photos: Reviewing the surgeon’s portfolio of before and after photos of previous patients who underwent the procedure you’re considering can provide insight into their aesthetic style and their ability to deliver the results you’re seeking
- Patient Reviews and Recommendations: Reviews from previous patients can give you a sense of what to expect from the surgeon’s care. Recommendations from your primary care doctor or friends who have undergone plastic surgery can also be invaluable
- Hospital Privileges: A plastic surgeon should have operating privileges at accredited hospitals, even if they perform most procedures in their own clinics. This guarantees that the surgeon’s qualifications have been vetted by their peers, and ensures access to hospital resources in case of emergencies
- Follow-Up Care: Plastic surgery doesn’t end with the procedure. Post-operative care is critical to achieving the best outcomes and dealing with any potential complications. Make sure the surgeon you choose has a clear policy for follow-up visits and is accessible for concerns you may have during recovery
Red Flags When Selecting a Plastic Surgeon
- Lack of Board Certification: If a surgeon can’t demonstrate they are board-certified, this should be a significant red flag. This means they have not met the stringent standards set by the relevant professional bodies
- High-Pressure Sales Tactics: Be wary of any surgeon who pressures you to commit to a procedure quickly, offers “special deals,” or encourages additional procedures you didn’t initially want
- Lack of Operating Privileges at a Reputable Hospital: A surgeon without hospital privileges might not have passed peer-review processes or met specific competency requirements
- Unwillingness to Share Before and After Photos: If a surgeon is reluctant to share these, it may mean they are not confident in their work or do not have the experience they claim
- Poor Communication or Lack of Patient Comfort: If a surgeon doesn’t take the time to listen to your concerns, doesn’t answer your questions clearly, or you feel rushed during your consultation, it might be best to look elsewhere
- Lack of a Comprehensive Follow-up Plan: Your surgeon should provide a detailed follow-up care plan. If this is missing, it could indicate a lack of thoroughness or a disregard for the importance of post-operative care
- Discrepancies in Surgical Outcome Expectations: If a surgeon promises results that seem too good to be true or guarantees no complications, you should consider this a red flag. While plastic surgeons strive to deliver the best possible outcomes, it’s important to have realistic expectations, and no procedure is without risk